Ground cover plants are one of the mainstays for making gardening easier. A good ground cover plant is one that can hold its own against any weed, will thrive in almost any soil, and if it has beautiful flowers that is a bonus!
Other advantages of growing ground cover plants once established include:
- Prevent germination of weed seeds
- Protect the soil from erosion
- They help conserve water
- Insulate the soil from high and low temperatures
- Provide habitat for beneficial insects
- Helps build up humus in the soil